Emeril Lagasse's Fried Pickles:
- 1 (16-ounce) jar whole dill pickles
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons hot red pepper sauce
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons Essence, plus more for dusting
- 4 cups vegetable oil, for frying
Drain the pickles in a colander, then spread on paper towels to drain completely.
Combine the buttermilk and hot sauce in a bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, and 2 tablespoons of Essence.
Heat the oil in a medium pot to 350 degrees F.
Submerge the pickles in batches in the buttermilk, then dip into the flour mixture, tossing to evenly coat. Shake in a strainer to remove any excess batter. Add to the oil in batches, turning, until golden brown and crisp, about 2 minutes. Drain on paper towels, and season with Essence and salt, to taste. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
Yield: about 6 servings
Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.